Different kinds of Fermcap-S Foam Control??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyedoctodd

Reaction score
Hey all,

After a couple of recent boil-overs and close calls, I've decided to buy some foam control that I keep hearing about. Problem is, I see it on a couple of different sites with wide price variation and differing usage directions. Prefer to use my LHBS but the owner keeps telling me he forgot to order it...

Anyway, here are examples:

MoreBeer, $3.50 for 1 ounce, use 2 drops/gallon in fermenter.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/15464

William's, $9.90 for 4 ounces, use 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/FERMCAP-FOAM-CONTROL-P1106.aspx

AIH, $7.60 for 1 ounce(?), use 2 drops/gallon.
http://www.homebrewing.org/Foam-Control_p_1773.html

Is this stuff all the same? If so, I'm getting the Williams bottle and putting it in my own dropper bottle..

Anyone with firsthand knowledge of this?

Thanks a bunch

Sorry to bump this, but I've noticed a trend where any new thread I post has zero views until I bump it (hours later) which is uncharacteristic for this forum.

P.S. I could understand if nobody viewed my threads if the title was "Justin Bieber tour!!"

But I'm posting about fermentation, and this $hit is serious.

I think I ordered mine from northern brewer. I just added half of what it said on the bottle and it worked great.

I use unflavored Infants' Gas Relief (generic Mylicon) drops from the local drug store.
One tiny bottle will last you through a lot of brews.
Only 4-5 drops added just as the kettle comes to a boil and that's it.

bosco

I first used this in my last brew, to me it didnt help near as much as i thought :( not sure what i did wrong, i used the rec amounts on the bottle yet it still nearly boiled over :(

I also use the NB and also use half as directed, just because half seems to work fine usually. I wait until the hot break starts to add a drop then I add one or two when fermentation starts. It seems to work best when there is already foam on top.

So I looked for the Mylicon at Rite-Aid and they told me it was off the market. They did have a Rite-Aid brand for $8.99/1oz. I checked on Amazon and found nothing that was a great deal when you factored in shipping.

Today I went to Target and found Target brand unflavored simethicone drops, same concentration, for $3.67/1oz and picked up 2 bottles.

Just thought I would let you all know the results of my search for cheap foam control!

I got my last bottle from Rebel Brewer... Came in a cool blue bottle, with the dropper cap. <$6 for the 2oz bottle. I would just order it along with other things, so you're not paying shipping for JUST that one item.

BTW:
Use 2-3 Drops per gallon in your boil to prevent boil-overs. Use 2 Drops per gallon at the beginning of fermentation to keep the foam down. (No more blow off!!)
Studies have shown that it can actually IMPROVE your head retention in the finished beer.
Store between 40 and 70°F and use within one year of purchase.

Back