green bean hop tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourown4life

Reaction score
so i just finished drying some cascade hops and after packaging i had 1/2 oz left so i thought why not boil a quart of water throw in the 1/2 oz cascades boil for 5 minutes or so and enjoy that wonderful cascade aroma, all i got was a boiled green bean smell, i even let them steep for about 15 minutes and nothing changed. are they no good or should i not expect that cascade aroma?

you shouldn't have boiled it for 5 minutes before sniffing, you boiled away all of the nice aroma...you should have just steeped it at pasturization temps if you were worried about sanitization. Or brought the water up to a boil and turned off the flame and added them at flame out. Remember boiling hops releases the alpha acids that contribute to bittering first, then flavor. Aroma hops tend to be put in at flame out or in secondary as dry hopping. Boiling would boil off the smell, leaving more than likely as you experienced a vegetal smell..

The hops in your kettle that you boiled for an hour are actually going to smell really nasty as well.

Latest posts

Back