Partial Boil Hop Utilization - Only for bittering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
After making my eyes go crossed with various threads on this topic, :drunk:
I am left with an unresolved question...

Does the partial boil scale-up only apply to the 60 min addition for bittering? Or should I scale up Aroma and Flavoring additions that occur later in the boil as well?

I am planning on doing Jamil's APA. His recipes call for a 7 gallon boil (5.5 actually making it into the fermenter) with the following additions:

0.67 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

However, because I am doing a 3.5 gallon boil (with 1lb LME/1 gallon)...
Then the remaining extract as a late addition...
Before finally topping off to 5.5 Gallons

I adjusted the schedule as follows:

1.25 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops

In this case, I only scaled up my bittering hops..

Will I also need to scale up my 10 min and 0 min additions?

i would adjust the 10 min addition according to tinseth's hop utilization table. that is a late flavor/aroma addition aimed to allow some alpha acids to isomerize but mainly add aroma.

I only adjust the bittering add. Extraction of the oils has little dependence on wort volume.

Just a note: the idea that high wort concentrations reduced bittering efficiency turns out to be wrong. The problem is the concentration of the bittering precursors themselves. Since homebrew bittering levels are often tied to gravity, it took real science to figure out what was happening.

hop_utilization2.jpg

Just a note: the idea that high wort concentrations reduced bittering efficiency turns out to be wrong. The problem is the concentration of the bittering precursors themselves. Since homebrew bittering levels are often tied to gravity, it took real science to figure out what was happening.

hop_utilization2.jpg

...and this means what in english to the rest of us? (explain please)

just pointing out that independent of boil gravity, a smaller boil results in lower hop utilization period.

hasnt refuted the idea that boil gravity affects hop utilization, but certainly makes the point that boil volume DOES affect your hop utilization.

amirite?

Latest posts

Back