What's in a name? Color of Black Malt vs Chocolate Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyCB

Reaction score
So I've noticed that there is a huge range in what name maltsters give what color of malt:

British Pale Chocolate is around 400 EBC or (200 L).

Weyermann's carafa I (non special) is about 630 EBC (315 L).

Dingeman's and Briess's chocolate malts are about 680 EBC (340 L).

Weyermann's carafa II (non special) is 820 EBC or (410 L).

Simpsons Chocolate is closer to 850 EBC (425 L).

Carafa III, Briess Black malt and Fawcett Chocolate are up at 1000 EBC (500 L).

Simpson's Black Malt is at 1100 EBC or (550 L).

Crisp does their Chocolate at 1240 EBC (620 L).

Fawcett and Crisp do their Black Malt up around 1300 EBC (650 L).

Roasted Barley also runs from Briess at 590 EBC (240 L) all the way up to Crisp at 1370 EBC (685 L)

As brewers I assume we should be trying to do our best to match color (EBC/L) when we are sharing recipes since there is clearly a huge discrepancy in the products being offered to us. It's interesting because for the most part here and elsewhere we tend to talk about these malts by name rather than by color. I also find it interesting that there is a huge gap in British malt offerings between Pale Chocolate and Chocolate and there is also such a tendency for Briess to use lower levels of roast for their dark malts. I can't find any other US or Canadian Maltsters producing Chocolate or Black malt. I also wonder whether originally making the measurement in EBC vs Lovibond has anything to do it. I'd love to hear everyone's experience/opinions on this. Denny are you out there? :)

-Anthony

Thank you for assembling these data.

I get very frustrated by the wide variance in colors between similarly-labeled products. The one that gets me the worst is Briess "Roasted Barley" that is nothing like the roasted barley one would use in a stout. I think Briess should re-name it "Stout Ruiner." My batch (and several others) of Ode to Arthur ended up as brown ales, not stouts.

For all of my recipes, I include the maltster and correct lovibond. My LHBS carries Crisp Chocolate Malt, so I have to adjust for color when making something like Janet's Brown Ale, which specifies Briess Chocolate (350L).

I agree, though, we should be specific about color or maltster when posting recipes online.

Back