Stainless Solenoid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducasir

Reaction score
I picked up this solenoid on Ebay a few weeks back and I'm still not sure if it's what I really should be using. I'm trying to put together a electric HERMS system so, this is not for gas use. Also, since it's only rated to 170 it will be on the pre-boil side of the configuration.

The model is ASCO Redhat 8210G87 .

320X240_IMG_1854.JPG

320X240_IMG_1852.JPG

As you can see in the pictures the threads are stainless, nice and shiny, but the rest of the inside seems to be powder coated (or some coating).

Is this going to produce off flavors or mess anything up? The item and some other ones similar on ebay seem to be a good price for stainless. Should I buy more or just chalk this up as a loss and keep searching. Any suggestion on which Redhat solenoid to use for a HERMS setup, if this isn't a go?

Thanks,
Duca

There are a couple of things to consider.

1. Is this a brand new valve or has it been used?

2. Is the valve FDA/NSF certified "food grade"?

If the valve is used, I would never use it for brewing. Solenoid valves are used in alot of medical equipment, such as endoscope disinfectors as one example. If you know where endoscopes go (colonoscopy), you wouldn't want to end up with a valve that was part of a disinfector. This is just one of many, many possible uses in hazardous equipment.

From what I can see, the valve is not FDA/NSF certified "food grade". Some people might tell you go ahead and use it; but if I were designing a system, I would definitely want to meet this spec.

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA85849.html

The value is brand new and never used, as are the other ones I've been considering. I highly doubt it's fda/food approved. :-(

From your picture, it doesn't look powder coated, it looks cast and unmachined or unpolished. I think it's OK. Just PBW and Starsan that item!

Back