3rd batch-need some help w/yeast confusion....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
Brewing a northern brewer kit and I'm getting conflicting info on the yeast. I'm using wyeast bier d grd, #3725, going to smack it this evening for use in about 20 hours....my conflict is with the temps, the recipe says to lager, wyeast says much higher...

Wyeast 3725 PC
Bier de Garde
Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.

Attenuation 74-79%
Alc. Tolerance 12%
Flocculation low
Temperature Range 70-95°F (21-35°C)

northern brewer:
Bière de Chute - Extract Kit

OG: 1061 / Ready: 7 weeks

A Belgian Oktoberfest... you must be joking!? Nope! This biere de garde (or more aptly, "Beer of Fall") reaches back into history to draw out great complexity and depth from a simple bill of ingredients. Straddling the line between a lager and an ale, this beer combines the best of both worlds with restrained fruity esters and a smooth lager-like character. A fusion of toasty, bready, and nutty malt flavors with spicy yeast and peppery alcohol make Bière de Chute readily drinkable and utterly dangerous. Prost à Français!

Recommendations:

Primary fermantation: 66°-69°F, approx. 1 week

Secondary fermentation: 32°-34°F, 3-4 weeks

won't I kill the yeast???

This won't kill the yeast. The higher temperature fermentation will produce fruity esters, which appears to be the intent.

ok, thanks, and the 32-34 degree range subsequent to the first week is also ok, I guess? I was concerned that this would kill the yeast since it seems on one hand it thrives in higher temps. I'll probably have more questions on this one going forward, no mention of a diacetyl (sp) rest in the instructions.

i owe a big thank you to my apple tv btw..tems here last night dropped into the 40's and its too early for heat. i came down this am to check on my wyeast smack pac on top of the fridge and it was 62 degrees in the house! smack pack had a semi, but was kind of soft to the touch...the only really warm spot in the house was on top of the tiny apple tv box (always runs hot, een when not in use) 6 hours later and that package is busting at the seams..lol..

This won't kill the yeast. The higher temperature fermentation will produce fruity esters, which appears to be the intent.

Back