AHS Fat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
I recently purchased (not yet brewed) the Fat Tire clone from Austin Homebrew Supply...I was just curious if anyone has made it before and how close to the real deal it tasted? I know a lot of it will depend on where you are and what your quality of water is - I'm still a little curious. In this ass backwards state I live in we can not get Fat Tire at all so I figured any Fat Tire would be better than no Fat Tire, regardless of how accurate it is.

Anyone?

i've made it, it's pretty spot on but better. If you read the review on AHS, all of them are positive.

Since then, I bought Fat Tire in a can to take to the beach and for what ever reason I am turned off by Fat Tire. But it might also be that I have been drinking alot of Sierra Nevada. So maybe Fat Tire's lack of hop flavor just isnt doing it for me anymore.

I've brewed it and thought it was pretty close. I would have liked to let mine age longer but it was for a party so it was a little rushed.

Where are the reviews on AHS?

I brewed it up (mini-mash version) -- consider it one of my best beers... will make it again!

better that the FT bottle, but doesn't have the hop aroma of the keg FT....

overall I think that my homebrew beats the commercial version...

oh, I overcarbbed it a 'little' by miscalculating my priming sugar.... it's listed as Belgian Amber on my sig....

I brewed a fat tire clone using the recipe from 365 beers. Its still fermenting.....

David :)

I've brew it 4 times but have tweaked up the recipe. It's a great beer. Not enough Biscuit Malt in my view but 2 thumbs up (if you are an American).

I did the Mini mash, with the California V yeast. This was my father's birthday present, since he's such a FT fan. He loves it, and withholds bottles even from me. I have a few bottles left from my stash and it's getting better. (brewed in april). I'll do it again. I've been harvesting the yeast as a bonus.

Several years ago Wyeast had a special offering of Fat Tire yeast. I made a clone of FT using this yeast and it was one of the best beers I have ever made. Does anyone know if they will be doing it again in the near future? Or does anyone have a suitable replacement yeast?

TD

What is it about this beer? If I had a nickel for every Fat Tire clone question...

Epic meh.

Not sure - I personally think it's a good solid likeable beer by both people that appreciate good beer and people who prefer watered down commercial beers. It's just a good "go-to" IMO.

When I made it, I accidently toasted 4 kg of malt instead of 4 lbs. It should be interesting.

Wyeast IS going to come out with the fat tire yeast in October. I have 5 gals unfermented in a cube. Wonder if it will keep that long.

I will let you know what the first batch is like in a few weeks or so.

David :)

Latest posts

Back