American Pale Wheat Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabe91281

Reaction score
Hey there guys and gals, I had a quick question. I brewed a batch of American Pale Wheat last Wednesday 01/30/2013 and it is now Monday 02/04/2013 and I still have bubbling. Im not worried about this because I know it is just the wheat doing its thing however I never had one ferment this long! Is this normal?

My next question is this: on top of the hops that were provided I also added 1 oz of Citra hops to the Mead about thirty mins before the flame out. I was reading that this would give a good hoppy citrus flavor. My question is, do you think that when I placeit into my seconday I should use fruit or some sort of fruit extract? We really like hoppy beers with a fruit aftertaste and wanted to try a wheat beer....or willl the added Citron Hops do the trick?

Last question: How long would you recomend leaving this in the primary for? I keep getting miked reviews longer is better, shorter is better. I was just currious what you guys think.

On a totally different beer about two weeks ago I bottled and Imperial IPA and after about 10 days I tryed one. Perfect Hops flavor however it tasted sweet. Am I correct in saying that this needs to set longer for the priming sugar to carbonate?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks guys and gals!
CHEERS!

At 30 minutes you will not get a lot of flavor from the citra hops. If you can I would get an ounce to an ounce and a half and dry hop with them.

I make a Pale ale with a citra hops and I use 1 oz cascade at 60 min and citra at .5 oz at 10 min, .5 oz at 5 min, 1 oz at 1 min, and 1.5 oz dry hop.

Ok great thanks for the advise! How long would you leave in Primary before dry hoping into secondary?

7 to 10 days in primary thenI dry hop in primary for 7 days then bottle. Others may have a different time table they follow.

Also how many ounces would you use to dry hop a 5 gallon batch. I just checked and I can get Citra Hops leaf. Would you recomend bagging or just adding it without the bag to the secondary?

Back