False Bottom: Scorching/burning & Too High Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gato

Reaction score
I built a heavy duty stainless false bottom for my Sanke keg for about $ 40.00 USD that works like a charm but; the temperatures under the false bottom are always too hot due to flame contact...sometimes going to 160+ degrees F during much lower target temps.

I can keep the mash temp. near the top of the keg right on schedule (stirring, of course) but the wort drained out the bottom is always way higher temp.

Also some scorching which could impact flavor and is real hard to clean up.

I know I could use a recirc. pump but I am not sold on the ones I have looked at and I am concerned about oxygenation from pumping hot wort around during the mashing process.

I am thinking a (3/16"?) steel plate "trivet" under the Sanke (but the very bottom of the keg will still touch it).

Any ideas? These are about 10 gallon batches...ales and hef...

Any recommendations for a good pump?

Thanks!

I continuously circulate the wort in my mash tun during the mash, even tho I use an electric-heated HLT/HERMS system, still like to ensure consistent mash temps throughout the grain bed. The new march pumps from MoreBeer rock. Buddy had the older style, and it is amazing how much better the new ones prime.
No problems with oxygenation issues. I simply have a dip tube passing thru a hole in the false bottom of my MLT, as is typical.
This connects to "Pump#2 IN". Pump#2 OUT connects to ball valve at top of MLT. Inside the MLT this is a simple hose laying atop the grain bed, similar to how the guys at theelectricbrewery.com suggest.
No issues with channeling, or anything else, and efficiency is between 80-85%.

Thanks Zak, for the good advice. U be always right. I haven't brewed for a couple of months trying to work some of these issues out and get a Beverage Air commercial fridge rewired for Summer ferments. Its HOT here this time of year....

So...tap in another valve at the top and buy a pump. Sounds good. Getting thirsty...

Thanks again. Gary D.

Back