Aging/Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlbeer

Reaction score
Typically I let a beer sit in the primary under fermentation temps for 2-4 weeks then rack to a keg. As the beer conditions in the keg, it is uncarbonated. (of course under a small amount of pressure to keep out O2).

Does beer age better under carbonation? Should I carbonate and then condition?

I'm no scientist, and I don't know a whole lot about pressure systems, but I've always found that my beers do better when in a keg. So, carbonation may not help them age better, but I do think the pressure does.

I typically rack to a keg and then hook it up to my CO2 at 12-15psi. Within a few weeks, it's usually tasting great. After a month, it tastes better. When I bottle, it takes twice as long to get to that level.

Could be the difference between bulk aging and bottle aging. Also, when you have it on C02 it displaces the oxygen and thus decreases chances of oxidation more. There are a number of things that could attribute to it. In my own unscientific opinion I do agree, my kegged beer always seems to taste better.

Latest posts

Back