sanitizing beer gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I've been having some infections with bottling and am wondering if my Beer Gun is part of the problem. I always rinse the beer gun out with Star San when I'm done with it, and have taken it apart and cleaned it thoroughly with Oxy Clean many times. I have been sterilizing my bottles in the oven per John Palmer's directions. I've changed fermenters since my last infection, so it's possible that I've removed any other problems, but I want to rule out my Beer Gun.

Can I boil my beer gun without any problems? Or at least parts of it? Do you have any other suggestions for sanitizing it?

I clean the stainless steel and rubber/vinyl parts in PBW and then use star san to sanitize (using the brushes that came with it to clean inside the tubes). The valve or handle part (which I think is brass) I boil for a few minutes before and then after use. I've done this 15-20 times and it still works fine.

If there is a contamination problem with your beer gun it would more than likely be coming from either your valve (the CO2 passes thru this piece) or the little rubber stopper at the end of the gun. The little slot could be harboring some nasties. Clean the stopper really good or buy a new one.

Latest posts

Back