Snipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmarvel

Reaction score
So I thought I read on here somewhere that it would be a good idea to trim back my hops when it reached a foot in height to make it grow back stronger or something. So I did it... like a week and a half ago, and it hasn't grown an inch since. the rest of the bines are taking off, but the huge one i cut hasn't done anything. I know I'm an idiot, but did I do something abnormally idiotic?

jmmarvel said:
So I thought I read on here somewhere that it would be a good idea to trim back my hops when it reached a foot in height to make it grow back stronger or something. So I did it... like a week and a half ago, and it hasn't grown an inch since. the rest of the bines are taking off, but the huge one i cut hasn't done anything. I know I'm an idiot, but did I do something abnormally idiotic?
I think you're supposed to cut the leaves & lesser bines to make the stronger ones even stronger. Cutting the strong bine won't make it stronger...

I think the suggested strategy is to leave two or three bines per support line, and to cut off any other bines that grow. The aim is that the plant will expend all available energy on producing hop cones on the bines you've trained, and won't waste energy on growing and sustaining bines that you don't want. I think this is particularly important during the first year, while the plant is developing its root structure.

One strategy is to clip all of the early growth, all the bines for the first few weeks to force larger more vigorous bines. This practice is usually reserved for well established plantings tho'.

Beyond that, another strategy is allow everything to grow to about 1 foot and then trim all but the largest bines and train them.

My understanding is that you shouldn't clip the bines the first year as there won't be many shoots to start with. You're probably not going to get much yield the first year anyway, as the plant works on building its root structure. Clipping less vigorous bines on an established plant lets the plant dedicate more resources to the ones left to grow.

As far as stripping the leaves, this is done to the lower part of the plant (once it's tall enough) to help prevent diseases such as mildew.

Back