Blood Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
I haven't brewed the beer yet, but my next batch will be an Irish Red Ale. I'm thinking about something like this for a label. So far, I haven't put labels on my beer. The image, by the way, was "borrowed" off something...somewhere... Are there legal issues with that?

Gris Gris Blood Red Ale_edited.JPG

beer4breakfast said:
Nice label, Breaux. Yes, there are issues with using copyrighted images, but they are not likely to cause you grief so long as you don't try to sell your brew commercially.

On the other hand, the owner of the image could insist that it be removed from this forum.

Thanks, Breaux. And if the owner of the image wants it removed, I will happily do so. However, I have doubts the owner of the image is likely to ever see it. But who knows?

olllllo said:
Nice Label.

Wouldn't the owner of the label just go ahead and stick a pin in ya?

Ouch.

Explain the brewery name please.

You're amazingly accurate with the pin sticking! Gris Gris (pronounced Gree Gree) is used loosley to describe Voodoo dolls, charms and talismans. Specifically, it's been used for a particular type of Voodoo that is reputed to be more powerful than traditional Voodoo. Since I live in Baton Rouge (South Louisiana, and especially New Orleans, is Voodoo country), I decided to go with a locally recognizeable name.

LouisianaVince said:
You're amazingly accurate with the pin sticking! Gris Gris (pronounced Gree Gree) is used loosley to describe Voodoo dolls, charms and talismans. Specifically, it's been used for a particular type of Voodoo that is reputed to be more powerful than traditional Voodoo. Since I live in Baton Rouge (South Louisiana, and especially New Orleans, is Voodoo country), I decided to go with a locally recognizeable name.

Marie Laveau Ale, anyone?

I like the label...looks like you did it in Excel with wordart...that's how I started (aka, oldschool). I cut/paste everything from the net...only my friends get labels so there should be no troubles...and I actually try to reference the cut on the label (why not give props). Not what the artist wants to hear but posting should not be too much of an issue...unlikely the artist would ever even find out, but agree the worst that might happen is they ask you to remove it from the post.

Cheers.

woodstone said:
I like the label...looks like you did it in Excel with wordart...that's how I started (aka, oldschool). I cut/paste everything from the net...only my friends get labels so there should be no troubles...and I actually try to reference the cut on the label (why not give props). Not what the artist wants to hear but posting should not be too much of an issue...unlikely the artist would ever even find out, but agree the worst that might happen is they ask you to remove it from the post.

Cheers.

Thank you! Glad you like it. And you're close. I used Powerpoint and Wordart. I'm more of a presentations and wordsmithing guy than a spreadsheet guy, although I do use Excel a lot at work. What do you use, now? If I could remember where I found that image, I'd add a little artist credit. Like you said, why not?

Back