All Grain Flavor & Alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2kir

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I moved to all-grain and have had 5 batches turn out ok.
I am happy about that. However, I have a question.
I use a SMASH recipe. 10 lbs 2 row, hops and yeast.
I shoot for the lower end of the temperature range IE 150 degrees.
I read that this will result in a lower alcohol content.
All my AG beer comes out very grainy tasting and has quite a kick to it.
Is there any thing I can do to mellow this stuff out a bit ?
(Lowering the alcohol content and getting the flavor to be a little less grainy)
Joe

Actually, lower temps create more fermentable which means more alcohol at the end.

Lower alcohol content? Use less grains.

Less 'grainy'? Use some specialty grains which will add more complexity and flavors like caramel.

BendBrewer hit the nail on the head. If you want a lower ABV, then try mashing higher. This may also reduce the grainy flavor, but you should try out some different recipes and see if that helps you out.

Also, if you start with a lower OG then you can have lower alcohol content.

Just out of curiosity, what have your final gravities been like?

Thanks for the insight. I don't know where I got the idea that lower temps equal less alcohol ...... Old age maybe ???
While I took SG readings I do not recall the numbers.
I finished off a keg last night, so maybe I'll try a batch this weekend up at the top of the temp range, and write down the numbers so if this does not solve the problem, I will have adequate info for those trying to help.
Thanks Again.

kb2kir said:
Thanks for the insight. I don't know where I got the idea that lower temps equal less alcohol .

Maybe you were thinking of fermentation temperature which other things being equal will cause better attenuation and thus more alcohol when warmer. Taken too far it can give hot fusel alcohol flavors.

Yeah rule of thumb is:

Lower temp (150): higher alcohol, less body
Higher temp (158): lower (not low just lower) alcohol, more body

And you could always go for 154 and split the difference.

But really don't get hung up on making wort. The real magic is in the fermentation. If your having problems with your beer it's rarely the wort. It's more then likely the fermentation. Until you lock down your fermentation process, improvements in your wort production mean very little.

Yup, cool down the fermenter and you will cool down the alcohol...with 10 lbs of grain the alcohol note should be pretty subdued.

Why dont you just drop the grains down to like 9 lbs? Add like 0.25-0.5 lbs C20L to get a little sweetness and color. Any reason to only making SMaSH beers?

I like the idea of smashs, but honestly I find them 1 dimensional. Like others have said perhaps lower your final grainbill to 9lbs TOTAL and add a 6-8oz of light crystal to help make a tastier beer.

Maybe something like:
8lbs 10oz 2Row (or Pilsner because I'm partial)
6oz Carapils

Mash @ 154 and hop it the way you like. Also be weary of fermentation temps, it will greatly effect taste.

Rebel Brewer offers a Crystal Maris Otter (55L)... So, you could technically do a SMaSH with

10# Maris Otter
1/2# Crystal Maris Otter (or maybe 1#)

I actually plan on doing this in a batch pretty soon... Just to see what it produces in a brew...

While fermentation temps are very important. It's also yeast health, pitching rates, oxygenation, etc....

Or use more interesting base grains like munich or maris otter

I've been using Maris Otter, Golden Promise, and now Baird's UK 2 Row as my base malt since going all grain... Getting really great brews out of those... Some of the batches, I've mixed GP and MO, others were all GP or MO... All came out great. Of course, I've also used additional grains in the batches.

It's Brew Day !!!!
Trying your suggestions:
Have a 9 lbs 2 row Pale in 11.75 qts in mash tun hovering at 157 F.......

I ferment around 55 degrees using Saflager 23
Not using any other grain for this one.
Sparge time!!!

BendBrewer's right. The grainy taste is due to the lack of complexity that other malts lend. Just a half pound of crystal, or some chocoloate malt, or roasted barley.... all of it adds interest to the beer. And the sweetness left by some of those specialty malts cover up the alcohol. There are many barleywines that hid the alcohol behind sweet maltiness.

And yes, mash at a higher temp (i.e., 158) and shorten your mash time. Try 45 minutes, or even 30. Then mash out with hot water (180) to stop the enzymes from further conversion.

Latest posts

Back