Help, hops in corny!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmylie

Reaction score
I put a few ounces of pellet hops in a mesh bag and then put that bag into another and added to corny to dryhop for a week. Beer is carbonated and tastes great but is completely full of hop debris. I need to figure out a way to somehow filter the beer before a party tomorrow afternoon. I have another corny available so thinking of siphoning over but am worried since beer is carbonated and will foam. Anyone know how to resolve this problem? I have no commercial in line filter that I could push through, maybe time to buy one.

Thanks,

mfs

I say purge the empty keg with CO2 and then transfer over. Yeah it might foam a little. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to get the currently full keg as cold as possible before transfer:mug:

you could try putting a hop sack or strainer bag over the end of the liquid dip tube to keep the hops out - you could probably use a SS scrubbie as well

I buy those little plastic bubble pack of women's socks at Walmart for like a buck each. Add the hops to that, tie it off, zip tie to dip tube. It's a bit hard to work in the keg but I have never seen a hop particle in my keg hopped beers.

If you are looking for a solution I wouldnt put a hop sock on the dip tube. Get yourself a fine mesh bag (they sell them at northern brewer, they are over 20" long). Take your auto siphon and transfer from your clogged keg to a clean one with the bag over the outlet of the auto siphon. Carefully lift out the bag and all that hop sludge will be collected.

For me that's worked. You might oxidize your beer a bit but it's better than fighting with a keg for a pint every time.

When I do hoppy beers in general and have a lot of particulate and hop matter in the fermented I usually use my straining bag to get only liquid into my keg.

Hope this helps.

Back