Looking for a GOOD crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
Got a scratter, it sucks big time. Our wild apples are a bit hard and crisp not soft. We dont spray but pick from the wild triees, a standard scratter just doesnt cut it. Has anyone used an apple crusher that looks like a regular grape crusher like one on MoreWine? WVMJ

I bought a £10 garden shredder (alco h100) off eBay and it's brilliant. You end up with a fine pulp.

ForumRunner_20130906_214633.jpg

Is that one of those converted garden shredders or a real apple crusher? The ones here are about $1000. WVMJ

Its an Alco H100 garden shredder with no conversion at all. I just gave it a bit of a clean. If you youtube garden shredders there are some videos of them being used.

I can taste the rust already! The euro guys seem to have more varieties of cider making equipment than we do over here, we have like 1000X more apple trees! WVMJ

I already have a good press, its the getting them munched up before adding them to the press is a pain. WVMJ

I don't think there is a cheap commercial crusher available, which is why there are so many other options used - disposal unit, garden shredder, homemade scratter. I use a garden shredder, I check for any exposed metal and coat it with polyurethane paint, I don't get much iron in the cider. Check Claude Jolicoeur's homemade scratter, he says it works pretty well. Otherwise you are looking at big bucks, but in the long term it is probably worth it.

That polyurethane on the exposed metal parts, that sounds like a good idea, do you find you have to redo it every year? WVMJ

This year I checked it after the season ended - there were a few small areas where the paint had come off so I will have to touch it up a bit before the next season.
You can tell if iron gets in your cider because it turns black when exposed to air, leave a half full bottle out and it will start blackening, but if the paint on your shredder is in good nick it should be ok. I have never had it so bad it tasted rusty, but the last few years it doesn't blacken at all.

Latest posts

Back