Blowout tube diameter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
So my first batch I brewed I thought a fermenter/airlock would work. Boy was I wrong! I had foam shooting out the small holes on top of the airlock. I then switched to a 1/4" clear hose (that's all I had) and stuck it in the carboy stopper in place of the airlock, and put the other end in a bucket with sanitized water.

So my question is, for future batches, will this small of a tube work? Or should I get the big ones is see in pictures on this site? If I do need to get a large one, I have a 5 gallon glass carboy...what diameter do I need to purchase and how long would you recommend?

Thanks,
Lorne

I use the same stuff as the racking tubing. Works fine. After four days or so on a big beer you can put the airlock back on. If it get clogged or full of krausen, pull it, rinse it, sanitize and reinstall.

You can't go wrong with a 1" blow off tube into a starsan bucket. Even high gravity beers won't blow the air lock. The blow off tube fits in a carboy.

Back