Mold ?? Please take a look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBottles

Reaction score
Well, this doesn't look like something I am going to want to drink during the Super Bowl.

Brewed this wheat... It's 2 weeks old. Was going to force carb and put in the kegerator for Sunday.

Looking weird to me.... I have a stout and an amber ale I could keg instead if this is mold.

What do you make of the white stuff floating? Doesn't look like suds, more like a white filmy deal.:(

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

I am new to posting pics... hope this works

Yea, sorry, I can't get much focus with the flash bouncing off the carboy in a dark garage right now... it's midnight.

I would say if it's bubbly looking it's fine and you should keg and drink it. If it's fuzzy looking then it probably is mold and you should keg and drink it fast.

just don't suck up the floaties if they're fuzzy and give it a taste before you try sharing it with friends.

I just bottled a rye pale ale the other day that looked just like that. I decided that it was probably just leftover sanitizer. It tasted fine to me and it's not like i was going to throw out a batch of beer that MIGHT be bad. I'll drink it and find our the hard way if it is. I suggest you do the same.

You know, some of us grow crazy white things on top of our beer on purpose. I say run with it and see how it turns out.

I had a blue berry wheat that grew an island of mold skimmed it off with a spoon and bottled it the next day. it seams to be fine.

Thanks for the help.

I had transferred it to the secondary, and just realized I didn't put the floating cap inside with air lock. It's had been without one for only 12 hours before I took the pics... wondering if that might be a factor.

Thanks for the help.

I had transferred it to the secondary, and just realized I didn't put the floating cap inside with air lock. It's had been without one for only 12 hours before I took the pics... wondering if that might be a factor.

Doubt if what you are looking at could have bloomed in the 12 hours you left your airlock off. Lots of weird looking stuff can float around in the fermenter. Years ago someone told me if it more or less lays flat and is solid or bubbly it's probably OK. If the rafts get thick, and grow "hair" and turn dark, might be a problem there.

Like any rule of thumb there will be exceptions, but there might be some fact buried in this one.

I brewed a wheat a month weeks ago and mine looked the same, I bottled and it tastes great. Must be wheat!

I drank some today and it was awful. Had a rotten fruity bite to it... tasted like a beer you get at a place that rarely sells the beer they have on tap... a hint of rubber line, stale and a funky smell.

Siphoned it into a bucket to take to a friend who asked for it, since he has been around the block a few more times than I have with brewing. Can't imagine it can be fixed.

Good thing for me, I had a stout and an amber ale in two other carboys that came out fine... However, I over carbonated the ale, and the stout is flat. On to other issues!:mug:

So, looks like the amber ale might be the best bet for Superbowl Sunday, right? The stout you can always start to carb now....

Back