Quick q on late extract additions: how little can I add to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
In about an hour, I'm brewing a west coast IPA with Pilsen Light DME. I want to add as much extract as possible at the end so as to not darken the beer. So I'm wondering what the smallest amount of DME I could add at the beginning without problems? 2lb? 1?

Just for my own interest, I wonder why a malt addition is needed at the beginning at all? Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Whenever I do extract, I typically do 25/75 regular and late addition, and don't notice any appreciable color or hop utilization issues.

Everything I've read states that you need to have at least 15-20% of the fermentables in the normal early addition, as those sugars and enzymes aid in the release of hop acids/oils to allow consistent hop utilization. Hop utilization goes way down if they are just in water.

It doesn't go down as far as you'd think or read. I've done both in my time. but I have to say this way is a bit better-When brewing extract,I do 2.5-3 gallon partial boils. I put in half a 3lb bag of plain DME (1.5lb) & do my hop additions. Then add remaining DME & all LME at flame out quickly & very evenly. Cover a steep at least a few minutes to pasteurize,which happens about 162F. Since the boild wort is still 180F+,it's easy to do.

Back