Dead Guy Ale Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a Dead Guy Ale from Brewcraft, utilizing the Wyeast Pacman. The instruction sheet left out a few details. Wondering if anyone could supply the missing data so I can update my recipe.

Specialty grains - not specified
DME - not specified
Expected OG and FG - ?
Anticipated ABV ?
Bittering hops - ?
Aroma hops - ?
IBUs - ?

My OG was 1.070 for the 5 gallon final wort. I don't have oxygen capability and I only pitched the one activator smack pack. Would an OG this high have needed more yeast? According to the kit, one pack was listed and no mention of a starter, so I didn't make one. I'm currently fermenting at 61F

I guess the Rogue brewery doesn't want you to know what the exact recipe is.

I was just looking at this kit and wanted to ask some questions about it. I found it on the Rogue Website. There are no details on the website about the kit contents, but I can see from your post that it is a 5-gallon batch kit. Is it extract, PM, or AG?

I always make a starter when using liquid yeast cultures, but you will probably be fine :)

I got my kit from Mountain Homebrew & Wine Supply, in Oregon. It is an extract with specialty grains. The DME is 6 lbs; 1/2 initially and 1/2 at finish, along with Amber Candi at finish. There are 3 hop additions 60, 20, and 10. Suggested pitching temp 60-64F. There were no specific names on the malt extract, or the hops, other than bittering and aroma. The kit was crafted in conjunction with John Maier, brewmaster for Rogue. I think the kit was $48. plus the yeast - plus shipping, so it's not cheap.

YooperBrew has a great clone recipe for Dead Guy Ale - it's pretty spot-on to the original. It's in the recipe database under American Ale I believe.

When I brew it (partial mash version) the OG is between 1.066-1.070 and the FG ends up in the 1.017-1.019 range. Perle and Saaz are the bittering and aroma hops. Not much of the Saaz are used, I bought 2 oz the first time I made it - I've brewed it four times now and still have some left I think.

I did get the weights of the hops from the kit:
So the Perle additions were 7/8 oz times two. The Saaz was 6/8 oz. AAUs were 78 with IBUs of 40

Thanks for all the info.

Latest posts

Back