Taking ferm out of controlled cooling after 1 wk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
So I've got a black IPA and a Pumking clone that I made (1.084 and 1.080), and they went into my keezer (doubles as ferm cooler) last Sunday (Sep 2nd).

They're still bubbling, but I need to get 2 kegs into the keezer so they can get chilled, carbed, and cleared for this weekend.

How advisable is it to remove the carboys from the freezer? They're still bubbling, up to 1 bubble/ 2 seconds. I can't imagine these beers are THAT far from being ferm'd out. They ferm'd @ 66F, then I brought it up to 68F on Friday. Am I going to get off flavors a week later by removing it? It'll be sitting in temps ~ 70-72F.

The flavor is pretty much set in the first part of fermentation. The bubbles you are seeing are probably happening becasue you upped the temp and it is just letting off some gas.. You are fine if you want to pull it and let it finish up at 70-72.

They will be fine -- this is common practice at my brewery. The majority of yeast growth (where the bulk of flavors are generated) has passed.

On a side note: looks like you've got a few gallons of big boy beer to work through in the not-too-distant future...

Good deal, thx for the info. I just pulled em out and into my closet to finish, and got my 2 kegs in the keezer getting cold for the weekend (soon to be 3 when I split 2gals off the pale wheat and add hatch chile vodka extract to it)

Back