fermentation. unhopped extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grage

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I use unhopped wheat malt extract. and after 3 days in fermenter a dark layer on top appears(see pic)
Could you say - is everything ok with my beer? Should I wait when all beer will be the same color or just start bottling when gravity stop change?
thank you

beer.jpg

? What hops did you put in it ?

The beer is usually bottled when it is conditioned, wheat can be rushed a little, maybe a couple weeks.

This is completely normal. Over the next few days, that "dark" layer will continue to grow, until all the beer looks "dark" (all beers look "too dark" in the fermenter, this is normal also!) and there is a small layer of yeast and "trub" at the bottom of the fermenter. You are actually seeing the yeast beginning to "flocculate" (settle) out of the brew. Tomorrow you will probably have a really cool looking half-dark-half-light fermenter that looks like a "black and tan"

I recommend leaving the beer alone and not transferring or racking to another container until the beer has been fully settled for at least one week. The extra time will give the yeast time to "clean up" any unpleasant flavors that result from fermentation by-products, and usually results in much better tasting beer.

Thank you for reply, guys.

? What hops did you put in it ?
I used Fuggles pellets (1oz 60 min, 1/2oz 5 min). Also I added orange peel and coriander (20 min)

DrummerBoySeth, thank you for explanation. Now I will wait until the beer has been fully flocculated.

Thank you for reply, guys.

I used Fuggles pellets (1oz 60 min, 1/2oz 5 min). Also I added orange peel and coriander (20 min)

DrummerBoySeth, thank you for explanation. Now I will wait until the beer has been fully flocculated.

No problem. Let us know how long it takes to fully clear. It seems like most of by brews take about 3 days for the beer to fully clear, once it starts changing colors.

Hi, guys!
I waited for a week, and you can see how my beer looked before bottling.
It seems like all right, but I think carbonation going slowly(I put 1 1/2 carbonisation drops in every 0.5 bottle) May be I don't have enought yeast for that?

beer2.jpg

It has plenty of yeast still suspended, the bottles need to sit in room temperature for appx. 21 days before they are carbonated sufficiently. I don't understand your statement "I put 1 1/2 carbonisation drops in every 0.5 bottle" does this mean you put 3 carb drops in one bottle?

I don't understand your statement "I put 1 1/2 carbonisation drops in every 0.5 bottle" does this mean you put 3 carb drops in one bottle?
No, I have 0.5 liter bottles and I just split carbs drop with knife and then put one and half in bottle.
Thank you, I check bottles again today and it seems better.

Back