Question about SN Ruthless Rye clone in BYO.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I was reading the new BYO magazine and saw the Sierra Nevada clones in there. I read the 3 breakdowns for Ruthless Rye recipe (all grain, partial mash, and extract.)

All the research I have read states that rye malt has to be mashed, and not steeped. The extract version in BYO also states using the rye malt, with no mention of a mash, only a steep of specialty grains (including the rye malt) and rinse with warm water.

Is this correct? I am confused.

Thanks,

Joe

It was my understanding that rye malt needs to be mashed too, but far be it for me to argue with the minds at BYO.

I've made the clone though (all grain) and it's fantastic.

I left my BYO at home, but I found it in the digital edition.

The extract recipe has a mash- the rye and two row are mashed, so it's actually a partial mash. By "steeping" at a prescribed amount of time with a prescribed amount of water, you will get conversion.

So why would they print a partial mash and extract recipe? Wouldn't they now be the same?

Either way, that beer is awesome and I can't wait for it to be released again.

So why would they print a partial mash and extract recipe? Wouldn't they now be the same?

Either way, that beer is awesome and I can't wait for it to be released again.

My screen is way too small to see them both at the same time, but I thought the PM version had a bigger mash, so you could reduce some of the extract. The extract recipe looked like it only had a couple of pounds of grains at most.

I have had great results using NB`s rye malt syrup for my rye ipa`s
Will have to try this ruthless rye recipe with it
Cheers
Paul;)

Cheers
Paul;)

I have had the opposite with the NB Rye extract......not a fan of that stuff, or at least the beer I made with it.

Cheers
Paul;)

As long as you are aware that the rye malt extract isn't just rye malt but a combination of rye and barley and you take the barley malt into consideration in your recipe it should work out fine.

I know this post is kind of old, but I'm looking for a clone recipe for Ruthless Rye. Any chance you could share the recipe you have?

Actually what I'm looking for is something to reference to make my first rye pale ale. I'm not going to exactly follow a clone recipe but I want to get an idea of what's in Ruthless Rye since I know how it tastes... also Terrapin Rye PA is another one I'm looking for. I'm surprised how little rye is actually in a rye pale ale, at least from the recipes I've seen.

Back