First timer says thanks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife got me a starter kit for Christmas this year after wanting to try brewing at home for quite some time. I found this site shortly after and on Jan 4th I brewed by a Red Canadian ale extract kit my wife got with the starters kit. After I was done getting it in the primary, I realized I was missing a few items that I really needed (hydrometer) for my next batch. I decided that I wanted to get another kit and the proper equipment and have a go with another batch. After 11 days in the primary I moved the Red over to a secondary carboy, and got ready for my second kit. Today I picked up a Morgans Canadian Lager kit from my local beer supply store. I also bought a 500g Morgans light DME to mix in with the sugar provided by the supply store. I brewed the kit tonight using some of the instructions I have found on this site. I took a reading with my new hydrometer and it came out at 1.042. I feel pretty confident about this brew having learned a few things from the first kit, plus all that I have learned on this site over the last couple of weeks. I plan to leave this batch in the primary for a few weeks until it is ready to bottle. One question I do have is that I have read on a few other sites that lagers should be left to ferment at a cooler temp (15-20 degrees C) than ales. The instructions in my kit said to leave it between 23-30C. I have access to a cold room which usually is around 15C. Should I leave it at room temp (23C) or put it in the cold room?

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone that makes this place a great resource for people new to the hobby.

Kevin

It is my understanding that lager yeasts need to ferment between 50 and 55 degrees F. I believe that is around 10 - 12 degrees C.

What yeast are you using? That is the key driver behind desired fermentation temps, in my understanding. Agreed that lagers are usually fermented colder, but I think that the desired range will come from your yeast.

Cheers!
DK

I've read somewhere, probably on HBT that some Lager kits use a yeast that is a mix of ale and lager so temperature control in the lager range isn't a necessity. Nothing to back it up, just remember reading about this.

Hopefully somebody with better knowledge about this will chime in.

I'm using the yeast that came in the Morgans kit. The only thing printed on the yeast packet is Brewing yeast 514 5g Net 34809...not sure if that means anything.

The 514 is an ale yeast, used in some lager kits. It does have a high temp range, 61-72F for the sterling brad and the ausy is even higher. I read some about it, but have never used it. I do see a lot more about kits using ale yeast now for lagers. Lagers still have to age, no matter how fast you can ferment them though. Search 514, its in the forums here some where. Cheers:)

Back