"good" carbonation level for ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I am going to carbonate my latest cider batch, but am curious as to what a good level of carbonation would be. I don't want it still. I usual brew beer for which carbonation is indicated as volumes of CO2, but I don't see that standard reported for ciders.

What volume of CO2 is a "standard" cider carbed to? 2? 2.5? 3?

I have read "common cider" should be from 1.0 to 2.8 volumes CO2. I would test somewhere in the middle/upper end of the range and adjust from there to your preference. I like bubbly ciders, but SWMBO likes them almost flat. Go figure.

I carbonate mine about where you'd carbonate an english session ale, at about 1.8 to 2.0 volumes. the french like theirs closer to champagne, at the upper end closer to 3.0.

For bottle carbonation any idea how much you would increase the sugar amount to back sweeten and have a co2 volume of 2.6?

For bottle carbonation any idea how much you would increase the sugar amount to back sweeten and have a co2 volume of 2.6?
Are you planning on pasteurizing? You would need to stop the refermentation in the bottle in order to maintain some residual sugar for backsweetening.

Latest posts

Back