Austin Homebrew Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
I noticed on their website it say's only that they buy from north american sources- there is no sort of brand name. I also noticed that this stuff is wayyyy cheaper than something like Muntons.

Q#1: Has anybody used this specific type of extract? I ran a search function and saw a few posts that mentioned that there are no major differences between brands.

Q#2: On their website, they only have the following options: Amber, Dark, Extra Pale, Munich, & Wheat. If a recipe calls for Light- would I use Extra Pale?...is extra pale lighter than amber?

^^This applies to LME only

Mod Edit: This is a question about an ingedient: It's been moved to the relevant forum.

IQ#1: Has anybody used this specific type of extract? I ran a search function and saw a few posts that mentioned that there are no major differences between brands.

I've used their DME and LME and if its true what people say that there are no differences between other brands, then i'll take it cheaper at Austin Homebrew.

Q#2: On their website, they only have the following options: Amber, Dark, Extra Pale, Munich, & Wheat. If a recipe calls for Light- would I use Extra Pale?...is extra pale lighter than amber?

^^This applies to LME only[/QUOTE]

Definately use Extra Pale. I would recommend that you use Extra Pale DME or LME for any brews and rely on specialty grains to add color and complexity

Go for the extra pale in almost every batch, and use the specialty/crystal grains for color and flavor. It's cheaper because it's in bulk, not sold in those cans. It comes in a giant tub, and they pour you as much as you need.

Thanks for the info guys- Another question (noob) relating to austin homebrew- I noticed they only have "Black Roasted Barley"..is this the same as "Roasted Barley". My guess is no?

wow

thanks for the link. I always use the search function and didnt bother in this case because I thought it was a ridiculous question.

wow

thanks for the link. I always use the search function and didnt bother in this case because I thought it was a ridiculous question.

Well, you know the old saying- there is no such thing as a ridiculous question. Only ridiculous people asking questions.

J/k- sometimes the "easy" sounding questions are not all that easy and we can all learn from questions asked and answered. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question. I rarely embarass people in public. ;)

Latest posts

Back