Is my wine garbage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebuz

Reaction score
So, I had 5 gallons of Cranberry wine that have given me hell from the start to the finish...and this step has been no different.
Wanted to carbonate 2 gallons, so I poured 2 of my 5 gallons into a bucket, instead of bottling.
Let sit overnight to have the SO2 dissipate, while I started my premier cuvee starter.
Pitched a frothy, healthy starter of 2 cups worth into my 2 gallons 18 hours later. It killed the starter. No fermentation restarted (I needed to bring the SG down before bottling, which is why I was checking for fermentation in the bucket).
Anyways, I made a new starter the next day, and staged the wine, 2 cups at a time, until all 2 gallons took.
Now, during all this time, the wine has been in a bucket, only covered with a thin cloth. It sat, basically open to the air in my house (72*) for 3 full days. Friday PM - Monday PM. 72 full hours.
When I finally do get this crap in a bottle, is it going to be garbage? What does oxidized cranberry wine taste/look like anyways?

Sounds like you had a lot of trouble out of thisbatch, but lets try to salvage it! Got to get it into bottles sooner rather than later

I would not worry about just three days. If you do want to prevent oxidation add a little ascorbic acid, vit C. That should protect the wine without bothering the new ferment. The new fermentaion should help ward off oxidation as well. Go ahead and snap a lid on the bucket now. Or rack back into a carboy.

I would not worry about just three days. If you do want to prevent oxidation add a little ascorbic acid, vit C. That should protect the wine without bothering the new ferment. The new fermentaion should help ward off oxidation as well. Go ahead and snap a lid on the bucket now. Or rack back into a carboy.

Thanks for the reassurement! I did have some S02 in the mix, so that probably helped a bit too.
It's now fermenting fully, and in a glass carboy, airlocked. Lots of headspace, but it's actively bubbling and putting out CO2. Should be OK!
Always new techniques to learn. Could have avoided this by being more careful with my starter in a high acid, high abv mix!

Cranberries have a good bit of natural preservative in them, so you are not likely to have spoilage problems from that amount of air exposure.

I'd suggest holding forth and finishing it out and bottling. Cranberry wine is excellent *as long as* you let it age for about a year in the bottle.

Here's some info on fermenting cranberry wine (my post is at the bottom of the page)...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/cranberry-wine-392371/#post5583676

Back