Abv?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was asking that as a question. Does US have laws that prohibit high ABV vs Euro countries? Considering some of the weird laws put in place after Prohibition in US regarding selling and distributing alcohol that are still on books...so was questioning if there were any that limit ABV. Something like anything over 18% is considered moonshine/spirit not beer?

Not sure what you are really asking. Grain alcohol has very high ABV. Beers are brewed to tastes and markets. There are not to many Americans that would be looking for an 18% ABV beer.

Considering that Dogfish Head and Sam Adams make some of the strongest beers in the world, I don't get the question

I guess you've never had a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA? 15-20% abv

We have plenty of strong beers in the States. The idea that Europe has stronger beer is a myth perpetuated by BMC drinkers that don't know any better.

There are some states the don't distribute beer that is above certain ABV

Having lived in Germany over 7 years of my life on two different occasions, I can assure you that most of their beer is in the 4.8 to 6.2% range. There are some that exceed that, but those are typically a special occasion beer. As I understand it, the term beer is used to describe an alcoholic beverage in the 2-12% ABV range. Anything with a higher ABV starts getting out of the style guidelines of beer. There are some beverages labeled as beer that get well into the 20% ABV and higher. I like beer and I keep the ABV in the average range so I can enjoy more of them!

Back