Longevity and Versatility of Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwic

Reaction score
I'm at the point where I'd like to buy some ingredients to have on hand for a spontaneous brew day when I get a free afternoon.

I'm wondering, however, what are the kinds of ingredients one can always have on hand and produce a variety of beer. So, for example, I've read numerous recipes and it doesn't seem that any two recipes have the same kinds of hops. Is there one kind of hop I should buy in bulk and I should absolutely have on hand which is versatile enough to work in almost any type of beer I might brew? Same with grains.

Also, how long does the typical vacuum-sealed package of hops usually last in the fridge? Ditto for grains.

Cheers!
JWiC

I'm at the point where I'd like to buy some ingredients to have on hand for a spontaneous brew day when I get a free afternoon.

I'm wondering, however, what are the kinds of ingredients one can always have on hand and produce a variety of beer. So, for example, I've read numerous recipes and it doesn't seem that any two recipes have the same kinds of hops. Is there one kind of hop I should buy in bulk and I should absolutely have on hand which is versatile enough to work in almost any type of beer I might brew? Same with grains.

Also, how long does the typical vacuum-sealed package of hops usually last in the fridge? Ditto for grains.

Cheers!
JWiC

In regards to hops...I would recommend buying them in pellets and storing them in your refrigerator or freezer (most hops suppliers store them the same way for up to a year).
As for grain, you can keep grain in air tight buckets or tubs for a long time (some of mine have gone over 6 months)...I personally use the homer buckets from Home Depot, I fill them with grain (in plastic bags) and push down the bucket lid...I have never had spoilage or critters! As for the staples of grain to keep, I would consider 2 row, marriss otter, chocolate malt and crystal 60...while not all of these grains will be used in a recipe, they will be in most kinds and/or are a suitable sub for some ingredients.

Haven't been brewing too long, however I bought 4 varieties of hops in 8oz pellet pkgs. Keep them in the freezer. I have seen them all in recipes i like so im sure I will get to them eventually.

I bought a 50 pound two row and store in 3 home depot buckets ( fills 2 and a little left over). I store my dme, corn sugar and 10 or so 1 pound bags of specialty grains in another home depot homer bucket. Label them, boom!

Try a few grains everytime you use them to see if they are still good.

Look up a few recipes and try to find common ingredients. Next time I re-up i may buy stuff to make a variety of belgian brews.

Latest posts

Back