Czech/wheat Strawberry Lager (first attempt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjewell

Reaction score
Grain Bill for 2 Gallons (yes its a small batch)

.5 oz Saaz Hops

Wyeast Pilsen Lager

Critique my work as this is my first all grain, all by myself.

Mash: Double Decoction
dextrinase
Alpha amylase
Beta-amylase
Sparge 15 minutes

Boil

Some questions:

*I have it fermenting at around 45F. I should let this run for 2 weeks right?
*And strawberries will be added to the secondary fermentation. About 2.5 to 3 pounds. How does that sound?
*The wort looked thick, thicker than I normally seen.. Will this thin out? Or did I just mess up somewhere along the way?
*Diacetyl rest? Should I care? All the talk I seen on it, you guys really dread it. I dont know any better.. enlighten me.
*Any other tips would be fantastic!!!!!!

Thanks for reading!

48 views...so i am guessing I did a perfect job then. haha. well one more question if you guys do not mind....

I have a crap load of trub. I only have about 1.5 inches of clear liquid. Will this ever settle out? Am I going to have to let it filter through some cheese clothe to remove it??

Hey, that sounds delicious. Here are a few notes/answers:

- Keep it at 45 until you're close to your FG (like 1/3 away) then take the beer out of your fermentation chamber and warm it up to 65-70* slowly and hold it for 36-48 hours; need that D-rest.

- So you're got a half gallon of trub, that's to be expected. I suspect it's not really a half gallon, considering it probably hasn't all settled yet. I always brew 0.5 gallons more than the recipe calls for (i.e. 5gal --> 5.5gal)

- Also, if you're worried about losing liquid volume, then adding 2.5-3 pounds of strawberries to 2 gallons (well, 1.5 supposedly) of beer will make you extra sad. You will lose quite a bit more. Do less, or use strawberry extract

Hope that helps

Hey, that sounds delicious. Here are a few notes/answers:

- Keep it at 45 until you're close to your FG (like 1/3 away) then take the beer out of your fermentation chamber and warm it up to 65-70* slowly and hold it for 36-48 hours; need that D-rest.

- So you're got a half gallon of trub, that's to be expected. I suspect it's not really a half gallon, considering it probably hasn't all settled yet. I always brew 0.5 gallons more than the recipe calls for (i.e. 5gal --> 5.5gal)

- Also, if you're worried about losing liquid volume, then adding 2.5-3 pounds of strawberries to 2 gallons (well, 1.5 supposedly) of beer will make you extra sad. You will lose quite a bit more. Do less, or use strawberry extract

Hope that helps

ahhhh ok.... .5 gallons would be really helpful. Its in a Mr. Beer fermenter. It was the smallest thing that would fit in the refrigerator. Its brew volume is recommended at 2 gallons it can hold about 3.25 I think.

Can I drain the fermenter when I am racking to secondary and run it through a mesh colander (lined with cheese clothe) to remove trub?

What is extra SAD?

anyone? anyone?

So my gravity was retarded high. I cut it in half and I got 1.067. I was only planing to make 2 gallons, but I had so much trube that I would only get a gallon's worth of beer from it (if left un cut).

I had a hard time fermenting it. The temps were not right so it sat dorment for a while. May 16th is when i first notice krausen. So how long am I looking for the primary?

So took a Gravity reading. I am sitting at 1.016. Tastes pretty good. Seems thick in mouth feel.

anyone care to chime in on the last two posts?

anyone care to chime in on the last two posts?

Let me be frank: Your thing there just reads as kinda spastic. "Dark wheat," Munich, and 6-row doesn't say Czech at all, unless you know something I don't. A double decoction for your first AG, and you're only expecting 2 gallons of beer out of it?

IDK. I'm just saying if I was recommending a first AG recipe, it would not be a fruit beer, nor a lager, nor contain a majority of huskless grains, nor undergo a complex mash schedule, nor yield as little as a gallon of beer for the effort.

:tank:

Let me be frank: Your thing there just reads as kinda spastic. "Dark wheat," Munich, and 6-row doesn't say Czech at all, unless you know something I don't. A double decoction for your first AG, and you're only expecting 2 gallons of beer out of it?

IDK. I'm just saying if I was recommending a first AG recipe, it would not be a fruit beer, nor a lager, nor contain a majority of huskless grains, nor undergo a complex mash schedule, nor yield as little as a gallon of beer for the effort.

:tank:

Well frank,

thanks for the correction on the nomenclature in reference to the Czech and grain choice. Check-I understand now.

Yes, I did double decoction on it. Crazy amounts of grain husks. Too late now. Check-lesson learned.

Well, its still going to be a lager, I used huskless grains, and I still did a complex mash schedule. Oh and I did get two gallons out of it. I later cut it in half because the gravity was so high. I posted that two posts ago.

Effort was fine and worth it to me. I am learning to brew AG, so botching up a two gallon recipe isnt a big deal. Plus, its easier to handle and I can do it in pots on my stove. Just learning to do things small before I move onto bigger and better things.

If only I could go back in time...................but thanks for your insightful input.

Latest posts

Back