Hop usage with partial boil/ LME addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
So hop utilization is increased when you keep half of the LME out until the last 15 min of the boil.

Is there a good way to figure out how recipes using this method?

None of the hop calculators I use have LME additions built in and to make it harder I'm only boiling 3.5 gallons out of a 7 gallon batch.

Here is what I playing at: Using brewer's friend IBU calc, 3.5 gallon boil for a 7 gallon batch. Est. OG .063. When I boil all the LME for 60 min I need to use 1.5 oz of bittering. If I save half of the LME until the last 15 min and thereby cut the estimated OG to around half ( .035 is what I typed into the calc) then I only need to use 1 oz.

Does that sound about right?

7 Gallon Recipe

9 lbs LME
1 lbs 2 row
1 lb brown sugar
.75 lb 60L
.25 lb 20L
.25 lb roasted barley
.25 lb chocolate
.5 lb flaked oats

1 or 1.5 oz glena High alpha 13.4% @60
1 oz saaz 3.3% @ 15 Min
.5 oz saaz 3.3% @ 5 Min
.5 oz saaz 3.3% @ Dry hoped in primary

I want to get around 35 IBUs

Well using the Beer Calculus web site it looks like I'm going to add the whole 2 oz of galena for the whole boil.

Saved the link to try out later myself. If this PM kit turns out good,it'll help a lot.
Anyway,when I do 6 gallon batches with partial boil & late extract additions,I use at least 2oz of flavor hops. .5-1oz bittering. They are comparable to commercial examples,maybe better according to my son. He drinks all kinds of craft beers.

Back