Grolsch bottles in my dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Steve

Reaction score
I've read a few threads about sterilizing bottles in the dishwasher.
It sounded like it would be much less effort than the normal soak in sanitizer and rinse.

I was going to try the dishwasher last night, but I ran into some issues.
Perhaps someone who does this more often can offer advice.

My dishwasher is a Maytag. It doesn't have a "sterilize" option, but it does have a "heated dry" which I'm hoping will sufficiently heat and sterilize the bottles.

When I put the bottles in the bottom rack, I need to remove the metal hardware to prevent them from getting whacked in by the swinging arm.

When I put bottles in the top rack, they don't quite fit. I can't lower the top rack enough for the bottles to fit upright. If I lie the bottles down on their side, will they still get sterilized by the steam?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
If I can't load bottles in the top rack, I won't be able to get enough bottles for a 5g batch in the dishwasher, and so it probably won't be worth the hassle....

I don't think most dishwashers get that hot (steam). Personally, I wouldn't take the unnecessary risk of wasting the time and money involved to get all the way to bottling only to find out a month down the road that the bottles didn't get sanitized well enough and some/all are infected.
Soak them for 3 or 4 minutes in a bucket and you will be good to go. It really doesn't take that long to do, especially considering all of the time you already have invested up to that point.

I have done several washes of my fliptops in the dishwasher. Luckily the lower spinning arm in the bottom of the washer was low enough that I never had to remove the tops. Dump in a 1/4 cup or so of bleach and let it fly. I would still hit them with some starsan before bottling also, and never had a problem with this method. Then I purchased cornies and now I only bottle leftovers and experimental beer.

Back