Kegged beer - How long does it last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstring78

Reaction score
Ok, I wanted to get peoples opinions on this: how long will homebrew stay fresh in a keg?
I've read on the net that most kegs will last a couple of months tapped with CO2.
But on the forums I see guys saying their beer lasts six months or more.
What do you think?

kind of depends on the beer......they will last a long time.....you might want to drink some beers within a few months of kegging, but most will last 6+ easily. your higher alcohol beers could last years if you want.

As long as they stay pressurized they will last longer than you probably imagine.:tank:

I'd say most of the conflicting answers you're getting are just from a change in flavor of the beer. As long as there are no leaks in your system and it is kept under CO2 then it should be fine to drink for a very long time. The taste of the beer may change but that is probably due to aging factors and not a contamination or degradation of the beer. Cheers. :)

If you're good about minimizing oxidation throughout the process, it'll last a good long while. IIRC, oxygenation is a major part to long-term stability in beer

I always fill my kegs with CO2 before filling, then connect the CO2 line afterwards and vent the top several times, just to get any additional O2 out of there.

I've had big beers kegged up for a good 6 months. IPAs won't taste the same after a month, but you might not mind. Hop flavor/aroma ages out pretty quickly.

If you keep the O2 out, and keep it cold, you'll never have a beer actually go bad. If you don't like some of the tastes that are developing, have some friends come over, and tell them it all needs to be gone in a night!

Back