Circulating fan location in kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pig140

FBC
Reaction score
I've been trying to find the best place to mount a circulating fan in my Danby. Where do most of you mount those? I had it pretty dialed in when I had one 5 gallon keg in there. It was on the floor blowing up, slightly tilted. But now I have a full size keg in there and no floor space.

Top blowing down? Bottom blowing up? How big of a gap did you leave?

My cooling lines are on the back wall if that matters.

I never really though about it too much. Mine sits wedged on top of my regulator. I figured any movement is better than none. :eek:

For a small kegerator or keezer, anywhere should be sufficient really. The volume is small enough that it'll keep everything moving. If you have a tower however, you might want to point it blowing up into the tower.

Newb here: why do you need a fan? In a small kegerator, there is not much airspace anyway. Is it to prevent condensation?

I live in an arid area, and am going to build a small Danby kegerator, would I need a fan?

It's mostly for converted chest freezers and to cool draft towers, but it helps to keep everything the same temperature and prevent foaming.

For a small kegerator or keezer, anywhere should be sufficient really. The volume is small enough that it'll keep everything moving. If you have a tower however, you might want to point it blowing up into the tower.

I got a tower chiller with a hose run up the tower - works great. But I was getting stratification inside. I noticed if I tilted the fan on the floor, it made the temp differential less. But I lost my floor space. I was thinking about mounting it about 2 inches from the ceiling, blowing down.

Anybody have any good recommendations for fans to buy? And installation tips?

I think I may add one to my kegerator as my faucet is much warmer than bottom of keg, which I think is causing foam issues...or at the very least contributing.

I have a fan at the bottom of my kegerator with a 3/4” hose going up to just below the shank in the tower.
I also replaced the pathetic useless insulation in the tower and replaced it with a piece of pipe insulation from HD.
I have no more condensation on the tower but still have foamy first pours.
I may or may not go to a smaller hose and am thinking about opening the hole in the bottom plastic collar on the tower to allow more air to exit the tower.
I will replace the fan with a pc fan but that more for less noise
702599FD-AFA5-4C2D-8C6A-F94ABAF46A09.jpeg

Attachments

• 689992A1-72B9-4A74-8C05-C8CCB8F21614.jpeg
    689992A1-72B9-4A74-8C05-C8CCB8F21614.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 8FDE1E73-F72E-4B22-A8F8-0520EFC55A15.jpeg
    8FDE1E73-F72E-4B22-A8F8-0520EFC55A15.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Back