just add water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craiginho

Reaction score
fermented my IPA in a 7 gal. carboy that apparently I had marked a little shy of 5 gallons. I transfered to a 5 gallon 2ndary are saw it was shy by quite a bit. Starting gravity was 1.050 and currently it is 1.012. Can I top it off with water to reach the 5 gallon mark before I pitch the yeast, or is that a bad idea?

BEFORE you pitch the yeast? What got it down to 1.012? Are you talking about future batches? If so, you can do that but understand that your gravity will be lower and will make for a weaker beer. You'll dilute flavor as well. It depends on what you're aiming for. A nice session beer might be okay, but a heavier stout would suffer.

sorry, my bad. instead of pitch the yeast, i meant to say add the priming sugar. yes, it's already fermented. i'll just keep it as is and see what it gets me.

I did the same with my first batch. For future batches you can start with a larger volume; aim for a 5.5 gallon batch at the start, and end up with five gallons going into the secondary.

Rick

I just bottled my first batch. Added water to make 5 gallons into primary, fermented, then dry hopped with an oz of cascade for 2 weeks. I got a little over 3.5 gallons actually bottled after leaving trub in primary and then leaving all the crud from the dry hopping not to mention what the whole leaf hops had soaked up. Basically what I'm saying it don't expect to boil 5 gallons and bottle 5 gallons. :mug:

Latest posts

Back