Tangerine wine progress....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaver

Reaction score
Someone else had posted that they were working on a Tangerine wine. I started mine this past Saturday. Took me 2 hours to peel a case (60) of tangerines! I weighed them compared to a regular orange, and got my ratio compared to the Jack Keller Orange Recipe #2 (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques33.asp). Came up to a double batch so I went with it. While peeling I boiled my water to sanitize and added the sugar. I allowed it to cook as described in the Skeeter Pee recipe since I figured this might be similar (looking back I didn't boil long enough per that recipe). I then put the oranges thru a food processor to break up all the orange chucks. I think this helped aerate as well. Mixed the necessary ingredients. After letting it set with pectic enzyme for the required time, I ladelled out some must and had an OG of 1.110. Then pitched in some Montrachet dry yeast. So far I've had decent fermentation and alot of bubbles. Punching down the must daily. Getting different scents each day. First day smelled like Orange soda (and bubbled like it). Today it smelled like a fruit punch. Seems to be progressing well and I'll airlock it this weekend and take another SG reading.

Actually about $15. Our Local Agriculture class sells them as a fund raiser every year. My parents usually split a case of mixed citrus (oranges, grapefruit, or tangerines) with us. But we can order individual styles . They had leftovers so I was able to get them @ cost.

Wow... yielded more than I expected! I was expecting barely 2 gal's and I ended up with 3... I'll need 2 more Gal bottles so I can fill 1 and rack with 1 open.

orange_wine_sized.jpg

Since I'm updating... here's the tangerine wine ...racked about 3 weeks ago and it was still fizzing then... SG was off the scale... stopped a day later and is clearing... sorry for the bad pic...

just 1 bottle for reference.
orangewine02.jpg

Bottled the Tangerine today yielding 13 bottles. Has def mellowed since testing it shortly after the previous post but is still in need of time. Can't wait to see how this turns out in a few years.

Bottled the Tangerine today yielding 13 bottles. Has def mellowed since testing it shortly after the previous post but is still in need of time. Can't wait to see how this turns out in a few years.
What happened?

Back