Harvest from 2nd year cascade plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
I really don't know what's typical, but this is the yield from a 2nd year cascade plant which I thought was a pretty great yield. Just harvested them a couple of hours ago. Is this around what should be expected for a 2nd year? Will it be about the same in the coming years? Haven't weighed them yet so unsure of the pre-dried weight.

uft1J.jpg

g27P1.jpg

JKC3W.jpg

pZ684.jpg

It depends on how many vines you train. I find that any more than about 5 per pole with Cascade is about good enough to be able to pick without the laterals getting too crowded. One pole will usually fill up about two of those big brown grocery bags in a good year. I've had healthy, established crowns supporting 5-6 vines on each of 4 poles and ended up picking close to 8 pounds a few years ago. I guess all the stars lined up that year because it's never happened again. It's all good except for the fact of trying to dry that much properly without building an expensive drying system. Have at it!

I'm going to estimate there's about six gallons of cones there, which would be in the neighborhood of 5 pounds wet. That's a great yield for a 2nd year plant, imo. It's Happy Dance Time! :D

Cheers!

Back