Bulk aging...corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to save some cash and buy in the 1000ct bag of corks. I have 4 batches going to be ready for bottles in the next 2-3 months, and will probably make about 12-15 batches this year.

if I buy the 1000ct bag o'corks, is there any problem with aging them? will they "go bad" if I open the bag and don't get to most of them for 6-8 months?

Should I store em in freezer bags to keep them "fresh" somehow?

Let me know if it's a bad idea to buy that many corks at once.

I also store mine in food saver bags. You can also make a "corkidor", put the corks in a sealed container with another container that has k-meta solution in it. Or wet several sheets of paper towel with the k-meta and put those in a open plastic bag, and place it over top the corks in the sealed container.

I also store mine in food saver bags. You can also make a "corkidor", put the corks in a sealed container with another container that has k-meta solution in it. Or wet several sheets of paper towel with the k-meta and put those in a open plastic bag, and place it over top the corks in the sealed container.

Using a humidor to store your corks has a lot of fans, me included at one time. I used this method for about a year until one day I opened up the humidor to find corks with mold on them. I'd heard of this happening but I figured mold simply couldn't grow in such an acidic atmosphere. I was wrong. I discarded the corks and moved to the food saver bags.

Without a foodsaver...any issus with just using a quality freezer bag and try to squeeze as much air out as possible?

It it likely that they'd go bad in a few months, or are we talking years before corks really become unusable.

I don't really know how long they'll last in freezer bags. I've stored them for a few months in ziplock baggies and they were fine but I live in an area with low humidity. I'm guessing the conditons in which they're stored has a lot to do with longevity. Cool and dry.

I buy mine 1000 at a time and use the bag they came in. I just use clothes pins to seal the bag. Been doing this for twenty years and never had a problem...

Latest posts

Back