Randy Mosher ideal water profiles by style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewF

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where this information was originally published? I have seen several online references to Randy's ideal water profiles but I never saw a mention of the source publication. Thanks in advance.

As there is no such thing as an ideal water profile you are, in effect, searching for the fountain of youth. Learn about the style(s) of beer you are interested in brewing. As part of your research you will find information about the general characteristics of the water each was brewed with. Brew the beer with water that is fairly close to those characteristics and then experiment from there until you hit the optimum (or near optimum) result in terms of your personal optimality criterion.

It's probably also worth mentioning that many of the ion profiles published in books and magazine articles in those days of yore were physically/chemically impossible in the sense that one could not synthesize them at any reasonable pH. In many cases they also represented the water of the region in which the style originated - not the water of the region as treated by the brewers that worked there.

Thanks AJ, good advice. In this case though I am not looking for a silver bullet for my water problems as much as a Randy Mosher book (or website or blog post) that I knew nothing about.

I may be talking out of my ass right now because I dont have the book nearby, but I believe his book, Radical Brewing, mentions a thing or two about water chemistry.

Go looking for the "lost cities of gold" if you want but you'll only get malaria, attacked by canibal head-hunters, and you'll lose the fortune that you came into the (proverbial) jungle with.

-I heard that Randy Mosher successfully found the lost city of Gold but died before he told anyone where it was.

The new Brewers Publications book on Water contains the map! -Go find it, treasure seekers!

:D

Adam

I think you're looking for The Brewer's Companion. I got a used copy from Amazon.

This is the right answer. Good idea checking for used copies on Amazon. Mine was almost $6 delivered. Thanks for the tip! :mug:

Back