Bottling bucket fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beek

Reaction score
Want to use my bottling bucket as a fermenter just so I can do another brew. But when I'm bottling, beer leaks out a little from behind the seal. I have the nut down as tight as I can and it still does it. Suggestions?

Sometimes if you tighten the nut too much the rubber washer distorts and will cause a leak.

Get another ferment bucket. If the bottling bucket leaks a little while bottling, it's going to leak for the whole fermentation period. I wouldn't trust it even if you think you have the leak stopped. I have broken off the threads of a bottling bucket valve trying to tighten it to stop a leak, so I would use caution. Another thought, the valve/spigot would get pretty nasty sitting in the trub/yeast that settles at the bottom. It would probably be hard to clean and worst case scenario, could increase chance of infection. I would get a 7.8 gallon bucket,.

Thanks guys. I'll probably go ahead and get a new bucket. Sounds like it might be my best option.

I use buckets with spigots to ferment in and experienced the same thing. I bought an additional seal and put one on the inside and one on the outside of the bucket and no more leaks!

Back