Gose recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to make this for my next batch. Plan would be to do my normal mash with only ~1# of the acid malt (perhaps less, I haven't run the numbers yet), as the acid in the additional might hurt conversion, then adding the additional acid malt after about 45 minutes of the mash. Looking for a nice tart character, but not a strong sourness.

I also chose to go with a combo of US-05 and WLP300, as I don't want the "hefe" characteristic to be overwhelming. I understand Gose is traditionally brewed with a hefe yeast at low temps (~62), but from what I've heard about hefe yeasts is that you tend to get prominent clove down in those ranges. My theory is that US-05 will chug along very happily at 62, and the hefe will give some of the natural stylistic aspects of a gose without going overboard. But I've never mixed yeasts, so I'm unclear if my theory is correct...

Thoughts?

---------------------------------------

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 7.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 100 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
6.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.33 %
3.00 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.50 oz Sea Salt (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [StartYeast-Wheat

Mash @ 152 deg.

I've never heard that they were brewed with hefe strains, but I'm not saying it isn't true. The mixed yeast certainly sounds like a reasonable approach.

I might back down on the salt to 1 oz, you can always add more if you need it. When I brewed one I also used only .5 oz of coriander, which was enough for me.

The acid malt plan should work as well, 2-3 lbs sounds like a good range for what you are aiming for.

Good luck, remember to post your results.

Oldsock said:
I've never heard that they were brewed with hefe strains, but I'm not saying it isn't true. The mixed yeast certainly sounds like a reasonable approach.

I might back down on the salt to 1 oz, you can always add more if you need it. When I brewed one I also used only .5 oz of coriander, which was enough for me.

The acid malt plan should work as well, 2-3 lbs sounds like a good range for what you are aiming for.

Good luck, remember to post your results.

I believe in the Brewing with Wheat book, they say Gose was made with traditional Bavarian wheat strains. I actually just kegged mine tonight. I used white labs hefe IV since the banana is muted and the clove is more prominent character. The first gose I brewed I tried different yeasts and preferred the hefe yeast over the cleaner German ale or us-05. Just ferment cooler to keep it from putting out too much character, but that light clove note is nice with the coriander and salt.

I've backed down the salt to 1.25 oz. Based on a discussion I had with Tyler from The Bruery, anywhere between ~1 oz and maybe ~1.85 oz would be stylistically appropriate, so knowing that I keg and can always increase it, I'm going to start a bit lower than 1.5 oz.

I boosted the Wheat to 10#, Acid to 4#, and dropped the Pils to 4#. That gives me a 55%/45% wheat mix, which I think is closer to what I've seen of 60/40 description of the style.

And I actually chose to go with 2 packs of US-05 and 1 vial of WLP300, which I'll pitch without a starter.

Back