Recipe with Leftover Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmboyle12

Reaction score
Hey all, fairly new to brewing and looking for some input. I have a mix of some ingredients left over and wanted to throw something together to brew this weekend.

5 gal batch

6 lbs Pilsen LME
.5 lb Biscuit Malt
.25 lb Flaked Wheat
1 oz Willamette pellets
1 oz Czech Saaz pellets
Safale S-05

Any thoughts on how this would turn out? Looking for advice on hop schedule as well. Thanks!

Interesting! Throw it all together and see how it turns out. I'm about to do that with some random stuff I have sitting around as well.

Biscuit and flaked wheat really should both be mashed with enzymatic base malt to convert their starches into sugars. It won’t ruin the beer, but it will leave some haze and a ready source of food for microbes besides the primary ale yeast.

How bitter do you want it? I’d probably do Willamette near the start of the boil and the saaz with ~5 minutes left for their spicy aroma. It won’t be too bitter, but it will be enough to balance out the malt.

Biscuit and flaked wheat really should both be mashed with enzymatic base malt to convert their starches into sugars. It won’t ruin the beer, but it will leave some haze and a ready source of food for microbes besides the primary ale yeast.

How bitter do you want it? I’d probably do Willamette near the start of the boil and the saaz with ~5 minutes left for their spicy aroma. It won’t be too bitter, but it will be enough to balance out the malt.

That hops schedule is fine, I'd just personally maybe switch the hops around. I really like late addition Williamette, though you would lose the nice spicyness from the saaz.

Latest posts

Back