Boston Friends - Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We're visiting in Boston, any recommendations on interesting brew pubs or other beer-related places to visit? Thanks in advance . . .

Just my opinion... (but check Beer Advocate)

Publick House in Brookline <---- best beer bar in Boston
Bukowski over by Copley <--- hole in the wall dive with fantastic beers on tap and bottles (and very knowledgable)
Deep Ellum in.. I think.. Allston <--- Same as Bukowski but nicer place
Kinsale <--- good place if you're right downtown. It's in Govt Center. Solid tap selection and pretty good food

If you're looking for brewpubs...

Boston Beer Works by North Station makes some nice beers and the food is pretty good
Cambridge Brewing Co in... duh... Cambridge... same thing

Rock Bottom in the theater district.... ehhh.. you could do better but passable if you're right there.

I'm sorry... I know I'm gonna sounds like a dbag and I don't mean to but I wouldn't send anyone to Sunset. I haven't been there in a while because, when I had been there, no one knew anything about the beer. The beer tends to be novelty beer instead of "good" beer. The lines were nasty and everything tasted like butter. I didn't care for food. A few guys in my HBC have gone recently and say things haven't changed a bit.

Go to the Publick House. It'll be a couple bucks by cab but it'll be worth it. They don't open until 5:00 in case you go.

Charles St. Liquors has a pretty good selection, I picked up some DFH 120min while
I was there because they can't sell beer above 13% in Ohio. Almost grabbed a Lost Abbey Angel's Share but I couldn't quite stomach the $35. If you're looking for something non beer related to do, there is a great Afghan restaurant near the MIT campus called The Helmand. The MIT campus is pretty interesting to wander around as well. We also went to a really good sandwich shop called Mike & Patty's the last time I was there. Check yelp.com, they have all kinds of interesting stuff listed.

Publick House for Belgian beers especially, though they have a wonderful bottled selection too.

Sunset Grill for a huge selection (both tap and bottle), though not specialized at all.

If you want a really great selection of draught beers from smaller breweries, go to Cambridge Common (in Cambridge) or Redbones BBQ (in Somerville). Don't go to the latter, though, if you want really good BBQ. For that you'd have to go to Arlington or West Newton (Blue Ribbon BBQ).

If you're in Boston only, Charles Street Liquors is great, but if you can go out to Davis Square (on the edge of Somerville and Cambridge), there's Downtown Liquors, which, though a little expensive, is much, much better than even the great Charles Street Liquors in terms of selection.

The Sam Adams tour is pretty good. The Boston brewery is the test lab of the Boston Beer Company; there's no provisions for bottling, the vessels are "small," etc.. It's pretty neat, and the tour / beer is free, though a donation to a local charity is accepted.

And if you're in the Theater District, there's Jakob Wirth, which is largely German-oriented in both food and beer.

The Lower Depths in Kenmore Square has a great selection and you can get a hotdog with mac and cheese on it. They also have tater tots with caramelized onions and blue cheese. It's off the hook.

Sunset Grill has a great selection but can be a bear to get a table at times... if so, check out the sunset cantina on comm ave (that's commonwealth ave for you out of towners)... less beer but good selection. get a buffalo burger.

Kinsale has a solid selection on tap (as Cape Brewing mentioned) and you don't have to go to Faneuil Hall.

Do the tours at Sam and Harpoon - they're both pretty good.

I am attending a conference about 45 minutes outside of Boston in Southbridge. Any good beer places around that area?

Whenever I go home, and especially if I'm bringing someone with me who's never been, I try to make sure I hit John Harvard's Brewhouse. I only go to the one in Harvard Sq, in a mall called "the Garage" that's a converted parking garage. Good food and good beers. And at least some of the bartenders are educated in what they serve. And they have 2 beer machines! 2!
Also, IIRC, the Poor House on Boylston St, near the T stop, has decent food and Sam Adams and Harpoon on tap. You'll have to request a non frozen mug, though.

Back