Bizarre Academic Thought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you ever wonder how people ever figured out that alcohol is produced by yeast consuming sugar?

I have an easier time understanding the thought process that led to Einstein discovering E=MC^2 than understanding what led to the revelation of brewing.

Well, the wort starts sweet and ends less so. The fermenter ends up with a thick layer of sediment, most of which is yeast. 2+2=7?

I would guess that it wasn't a one time deal. I think it might have been an step by steps process.
Something creates this stuff that makes me feel good.
The when we could finally see (microscope) yeast, we out two and two together.

accident + curiosity x repetition* = happy humans *coefficient of magic brewing stick must be applied to repetition. History of brewing in one equation.

You gotta wonder first why people started drinking alcoholic drinks. So there is some water that has some stuff fermenting in it... It probably puts off some not so nice smells.. And then they decide it's a good idea to drink it?

Before we knew what yeast was, it was called 'godisgood'.. Awesome, yes. Then guys like Louis Pasteur and Leeuwenhoek started using lenses/microscopes and seeing microorganisms, and seeing that they were in fact alive. Without these microbes, no beer. With them, beer. They have to eat something. Not too hard to imagine if you ask me.. Tasting of the sweetness, density of the liquid, etc.. all gave clues to what was happening.

Biological digestion and organic chemistry.

Fun fact #1: fermentation and sewage treatment are surprisingly similar processes.

Fun fact #2: yeast convert sugar to alcohol. Humans convert alcohol to sugar. It's the circle of life.

The first humans that are known to farm are also the first to have produced alcoholic beverages, probably not a coincidence. When storing grain and fruit for extended times I'm sure early humans noticed something magical happening-Fermentation!!! And it's been fun and unintended pregnancy ever since.

Back