Blended Beer? Missed my SRM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was trying to do a clone for Celebration Ale with the following recipe, but substituted 60l crystal malt for the 80l crystal (what i had on hand). My SRM color looks closer to a 5 than the 11.3 that the recipe says to expect. Obviously I expected it to be a little lighter in color but this seems quite different. I hit OG of 1.063 and am currently at an FG of 1.012 for an ABV of 6.609.

What differences in taste should I expect using the different crystal? Is there any way to compensate for this by crushing and steeping some darker crystal and blending the beers? Any thoughts? Thanks

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 4.89 gal
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency:75%

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

10 lbs 0.9 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 87.10 %
4.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.60 %
8.4 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.30 %

1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.73 %
Bitterness: 45.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.3 SRM

Either the amounts or percentages of fermentables in your recipe are wrong.

No way is 4.6 ounces of crystal 80 going to make an 11 SRM beer, but I suspect that amount is erroneous.

Either the amounts or percentages of fermentables in your recipe are wrong.

No way is 4.6 ounces of crystal 80 going to make an 11 SRM beer, but I suspect that amount is erroneous.

Thanks. This is a recipe I found on the forum somewhere.

I had a Celebration Ale today and it is in the 10-12 range. Any suggestions on the flavor differences I will get from the steeping grains I used and what I should have used to get a 11 SRM?

Thanks.

Celebration probably has 4-6 times as much crystal malt as your recipe, so more crystal to get it more like Celebration.

The hop schedule looks about right.

Look for either Dean Larson's clone or Mike McDole's, both tried and true.

Celebration probably has 4-6 times as much crystal malt as your recipe, so more crystal to get it more like Celebration.

The hop schedule looks about right.

Look for either Dean Larson's clone or Mike McDole's, both tried and true.

Looked up both of those recipes but the are AG. I don't have any experience converting to extract. Are you suggesting that the specialty grains be steeped at the same amounts in the extract as in the AG?

Thanks

ok. I didn't get a ton of feed back so I forged ahead on my own. Perhaps a good thing, who knows.

I decided to do a small batch of about gallon to blend with my celebration ale clone that I missed the SRM on.

2lb of crystal 90L

Steeped at 165 for 30 min.

boiled the wart for 30 min.

Cooled and added to my existing primary of the celebration ale.

I am pressure fermenting in a corny so, I put the new gallon in a corny, forced out the oxygen in the tank, then used a jumper cable to blend the beers together in one corny. After a week I will crash cool and filter into an new corny. I'll give you an update as soon as I can.

The gallon batch had an OG of 1.4 the Celebration Clone had an OG of 1.063. Not sure how to mix those as an OG. Not really worried about it.

Back