Favorite Part of Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Part of Homebrewing

• Planning/Preparation

• Brew Day

• Bottling/Kegging

• First Taste

• Sharing Brew

Results are only viewable after voting.

lilwiggum

Reaction score
Just curious, what part of the homebrewing process do people look forward to most? I used to tell my girlfriend I enjoyed my brew day more than actually drinking my beer and was wondering if anyone else felt this way.

that is part of it. Personally when i formulate a recipe and brew it and it turns out great is when I'm really in heaven!

Yeah, I'm still at the kit stage but am looking forward to creating my own recipes. I realized my initial question wasn't really what i meant, so I changed the wording slightly.

There are a lot of things I like about brewing:

1) Making something awesome from raw ingredients. Lots of satisfaction there.
2) Now that I have moved into AG it is cool to experiment with different things like mash temp, grainbill formulation, yeast selection, etc.
3) You can make it as simple or complicated as you want.
4) Sharing HB with friends and family and seeing the looks on their face and saying "You made this?"

I'm still a newb and learning a lot. 14 beers so far....mostly AG.

Jason

This was a tough poll for me to answer...I seem to spend more time (and enjoyment) reading about beer, tweaking recipes, reading forums (duh!), than I do any other aspect of brewing/drinking, so I guess I enjoy that most. Sort of like the anticipation is sometimes better than the actual thing. Don't get me wrong. I REALLY enjoy brew day, the first sip, and DEFINITELY sharing the brew, but in most time/enjoyment spent, I'd say planning and preparation.

I like coming up with a new recipe,or just tweaking a previous one. But I love brew day,when it all comes down to gettin the process right. It's the icing on the cake when it comes out good! Just glad I found a way to make saved bottle cleaning as easy as possible. I now let a bucket of PBW do all the work,while the yeast makes my beer.
Maybe that's what we really like? It's the only hobby where something else does the job for you...:D:rockin:

So far I like the planning part. I will take a beer kit and add ingredients that I think I will enjoy. Espresso, vanilla, anise, root beer, etc. Just whatever I think will add to the personalization of my beer.

NRS

I enjoy all of the steps. Even bottling. Although it may be my least favorite. I look forward to brewday like a kid looks forward to Christmas. I love everything about it. I have a brewday playlist, brewday outfit, and I buy a bunch of new beers Ive never tried before for some inspiration. I wish I could brew every week but my wife would kill me.

a brewday outfit? awesome...

favorite part by far is brewday itself... specifically mashing, hop additions, etc... least favorite part is cleaning. don't actually mind bottling, something rewarding about finally getting something safe and sound in a bottle... cleaning bottles however, sucks.

Formulating a recipe and then having a final product that is great is by far the best part of brewing for me. If I end up needing to brew a particular recipe a half dozen times, improving it each time it is even better.

Everything about brewing seems to be my favorite so far. I gotta admit though, when i got to my LHBS and see all of the things on the shelves that I wish were mine, I feel like a 6 year old entering Santas workshop.

Happy Brewing to All and to All a good night!:mug:

I selected planning. Mainly because I'm a nerd, love taking things that are fairly complex and figuring them out and using that knowledge to do something. In this case, make delicious beer.

I love brew day. Just started all grain brewing and still trying to get my process down. The last one (my third all grain batch) allowed me to relax a little. Starting to get used to my propane burner. I haven't shared too much of my brew because I wasn't happy with my extract batches all that much. The beer I am drinking now (my first all grain) is a Sierra Nevada clone and would be happy to share it with anyone. Very proud of this beer. That being said, I still like the whole brew day process.

I love the entire process. But to me, all the hard work pays off when you and your friends and family are sitting around drinking your beer that you created.

There needed to be an all of the above. I enjoy all of it but I picked sharing. I love when my friends cant believe that I "made that."

I voted for brewday.. relaxing, using the electric system that I design and built (with much HBT help of course), and drinking some homebrew.

First taste is awesome, but the beer always gets better after that. "First taste, second taste, third taste" should be the category :)

Sharing with friends is really cool also. I don't have alot of homebrewing friends, so having people over to enjoy my beer and explaining the process to them is alot of fun for me.

Back