Bg-14 orifice at high altitude

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphebbie2

Reaction score
So I just got my bg-14 burner and am working on mounting it up. I have a 15psi regulator which I know is not optimal but it should put off enough heat for my needs.

My question is about orifice size. I live at 8000 feet in CO. Will I need to change my orifice size from the standard one that came with my burner? Or will leaning out the air mix be enough?

I always had soot problems with my turkey fryer cheapo burner and am hoping to avoid that as well as make 10gal batches easier with my new banjo burner.

Thanks
Jp-

Trust me, even 10 psi of propane to one of these burners is nothing to sneeze at. I doubt I've ever had to run even half that pressure to get a good burn going. Of course, it's not just the pressure but the pressure at volume that really counts, but I don't have any way of knowing what those numbers add up to.

I'm at 305 ASL, and have BG14s running on the 0-10 psi adjustable regs that came with them. The air shutters are right in the middle of their travel which gives a perfect flame from my usual max heat setting down to a purring simmer.

With as much air shutter travel left to the open side I think you'll likely be fine without messing about with orifice sizing...

Cheers!

Back