Hallertau and American Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uziyahu

Reaction score
First, I'd like to publicly thank a local Chicago brewery. Atlas Brewery (2747 N. Lincoln Ave, Chicago IL- for those of you in Chicago) had extra Hallertau pellet hops from a brew they made recently, and they gave them away to local homebrewers. I love to see the pro's supporting us amateurs. Thank you!

Now to my question. I received half a pound of Hallertau and I'd like to put it to good use before my poor storage renders it old. I'm brewing an American Wheat Ale for some friends today. The plan was to add 1oz Willamette at 60 min and 1oz Cascade at 15min.

Would Hallertau fit the style and taste good in this kind of beer?

5lb two row
5lb white wheat

Mash at 152 for 60 min

1oz Willamette 60
1oz Cascade 15

Thanks.

Sure, that would work fine (although I see you may have already brewed?). I've made essentially that recipe before with an ounce of Hallertau at 60 and an ounce at 10 (total IBU about 22). This was with Wyeast 1010. I've done it with and without peach puree in the secondary.

Back