Multiple mini beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, so I've put a few batches down, and have had relatively good results. But my latest project, Midas touch, has left me feeling like I need to try more beers to find out what I really want to be brewing. My favourite so far was when i took a stout and dark ale kit, added Chocolate grain to both and made 1/3 stout, 1/3 dark ale, and 1/3 a 50/50 mix. I want to know if anyone has any suggestions (techniques) or ideas (similar beer styles) on how to brew up a few different beers at the same time, instead of ended up with 25L of a not enjoyable beer in desperate need of bottling?

Much thanks for any thought and or wisdom.

3L brewing? Or simply smaller batches. Personally I brew somewhere between 6-12L depending on what it is and how much I want of it.

I started brewing 1 gallon batches. Basically taking any five gallon recipe and dividing it by five. Gets u fairly close. You can then do an all grain brew in a bag also. The only downside is that if u make a beer u love u only have like eight bottles of it

I make 2.5 g batches for testing out some styles/recipes. If it turns out good I drink a lot, or hand them out. If its not the best, I drink it anyway and figure out over a few weeks what I would change. If I really enjoy the recipe i'll make a 5 g batch.

For me, I just can't brew a lot so 1 g batches wouldn't be enough.

Ok so looks like a few ppl have done this. That's great.
As I'm fairly new and still use cans of extract are there any suggestions on using/storing the unused extract?
Also above you mentioned as making small batches you can use grain bags, that's great as I've yet to try an all grain recipe.
Did any one ferment in any particular way? I once fermented 2 batches of iced tea by placing them in 1 gallon bottles which sat in my bucket fermenter topped off with water, so as it didn't overheat.
Thanks for the response guys

I just ferment in the closet. U do have to watch carefully tho as a one gallon batch can go crazy on temp changes as it ferments. Not sure on the extract as I don't use it anymore. I looked at it as a good way to learn the process of all grain brewing

I suggest you start using dry extract if you are going to do small extract batches, the unused portion stores nicely in ziplock bags.

Back