First time poster, long time reader

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley429

Reaction score
Ok, so a few years ago SWMBO got me a beginners eq. kit to start brewing and i brewed a couple 5 gal batches (partial boil kits). After reading this forum i saw the thread stating one of the best things to do to improve your beer is to do a full boil, so i bought a 10 gal brewpot and then life happened and i wasnt able to brew for the last few years.

Fast forward to now and SWMBO saw my Brewing stuff and said i needed to either start brewing again or get rid of it. So naturally i started again :rockin: .
i brewed my first full boil (american wheat) a couple weeks ago and bottled it last week. I however remember/reread about hops utilization being different for a full/partial boil after it was in the fermenter. Is my beer ruined? J/K I'm not worried.

Reading here again i saw some posts about brew target being able to convert the hops amount for the difference in boil size. With that in mind I downloaded it and plugged in the recipe and it states my recipe is unbalanced and Extra Hoppy.

If i increase DME from 2 to 3lbs it becomes balanced. So with this being said , Should i get another lb ?Or just brew as the kit was intended? Opinions?

Ok, so a few years ago SWMBO got me a beginners eq. kit to start brewing and i brewed a couple 5 gal batches (partial boil kits). After reading this forum i saw the thread stating one of the best things to do to improve your beer is to do a full boil, so i bought a 10 gal brewpot and then life happened and i wasnt able to brew for the last few years.

Fast forward to now and SWMBO saw my Brewing stuff and said i needed to either start brewing again or get rid of it. So naturally i started again :rockin: .
i brewed my first full boil (american wheat) a couple weeks ago and bottled it last week. I however remember/reread about hops utilization being different for a full/partial boil after it was in the fermenter. Is my beer ruined? J/K I'm not worried.

Reading here again i saw some posts about brew target being able to convert the hops amount for the difference in boil size. With that in mind I downloaded it and plugged in the recipe and it states my recipe is unbalanced and Extra Hoppy.

If i increase DME from 2 to 3lbs it becomes balanced. So with this being said , Should i get another lb ?Or just brew as the kit was intended? Opinions?

Those software models are flawed- hops utilization doesn't really change that much based on boil size. I wouldn't worry about it much at all. For your next batch, just follow the hopping on the recipe as if it was an AG batch and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back